The controversy on the subject of abortion has historically revolved around the issues of:
1. Pro Abortion side has given itself the label of Pro Choice. The basic argument has been, “A woman’s body belongs only to herself, and she has the right to choose she does with it.”
2. The Anti Abortion side has labeled itself as the Pro Life or Right-To-Life. The basic arguments of the Pro Life is not quite as easy as the Pro Choice argument: a) In response to the Pro Choice Argument, the Pro Life has argued that “A woman has the right to choose except when that choice infringes on the life of another, viz. the baby in her womb, and her choices to terminate that life is tantamount to murder/homicide.” b) Life is sacred, and the taking of that life is morally wrong. 3) Every human being has a right to life, freedom, and protection.
I believe that most anti-abortionists would fit into one or more of those three categories.
The Pro Choice Abortionists are a strong force to be reckoned with. They consist mainly of feminist groups and Planned Parenthood.
Under the Administration of President George H. W. Bush, pro-abortion groups took a severe beating. They saw their financial support cut, and new policies were enacted to protect the life of the baby, for example, Hospitals, Fire Houses, and Law Enforcement Offices had a policy of receiving abandoned babies without question. This was to try to prevent young others from giving birth and killing their post-natal babies by throwing them in dumpsters, or by other means.
Under President Bush, Planned Parenthood also struggled to continue its operations abroad because President Bush enacted a ban on US support of international abortions. However, during his first week in office, President Obama reversed this ban allowing the US government to finance international abortions. In fact, in President Obama Planned Parenthood seems to have found a willing champion for their cause of promoting abortions here in the United States and Abroad. What has really bothered me the most was that in my discussions with many Christians–who by the way are pro-life by default (at least those who read their Bibles).
(In the case of those who consider themselves Christians and are NOT reading their Bibles, it’s impossible to make a Christian case in support of abortion–sure they can take a political and a secular position, but not a Christian one. To do so is a betrayal of the very faith they claim to profess.)
In any case, I know that most Korean-Americans, voted for Obama. Now, those Korean-Americans who are “Christian” in profession need to understand that by voting for Obama, they contributed to the spread of abortion. When I ask many Christians about their support of Obama, I often ask them, “Since President Obama clearly supports policies which are contrary to our biblical Christian values, how do you reconcile that with Bibles teachings about the sanctity of life?” They usually answer “What do you mean?” And I explain Obama’s policies toward abortion and embryonic stem cell research, and the social implications. Almost 80 percent of the times, I have gotten the response “I didn’t know he did that.” or, in the best case scenario, those who do inform themselves by reading the news respond, “I try to keep my faith any my politics separate.” In all honesty, most people seem to have no understanding of how their faith in God and Scripture informs their views on politics and social policy. This is what is meant by “Christian Atheism.” Those who are “Christian” in profession only, and yet have chosen to live by a value system that is antithetically opposed to that which they profess.
I have to wonder, though, if most Americans are ignorant of the fact that we as a nation are struggling economically, our government is spending money to provide abortions in other countries. Why are we so hesitant to join countries which are engaged in struggles for democracy, and unwilling to engage in a drug war that has cost 36,000 lives, and yet so willing to pay other nations to have abortions?
What the Bible says about life in the Womb:
1. Genesis 3:15 A Woman’s SEED will ultimately destroy the power of Satan. This is Messianic in reference to the Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ.
“I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”
2. Psalm 139:13-16 Every person is a sacred life formed by the hand of God.
13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
3. Jeremiah 1:5 5 God’s plans and purposes for life are antecedent to conception, but conception itself brings forth the life of man by God’s handiwork.
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”